Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Will Ride for Food



I love my job. I spend my life riding and caring for a bunch of really wonderful horses. When I tell people what I do, I get a look of envy from them.  “You are so lucky to get to do what you love,” they say, and frankly, I agree with them. I have the amazing luxury of loving the way I earn my groceries.

But there’s a side of me that feels really guilty for spending my life doing something so self-indulgent. I learned social consciousness at my grandmother’s knee, and growing up with a single mom, I remember the winter she had pneumonia and couldn’t work. The grocery gift boxes fed us.

I firmly believe that everyone should give back to their community, so last Saturday SFD held their first “Open Training” session. In it, I sat on Mandy, my young Morgan mare, and did my best to explain what was going on in my mind while I trained her.  The cost of admission was a donation to the Chester County Food Bank.

Thank you everyone who came. I hope you got something out of the training, and I know the people who will get the food will also thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment